Portfolio Estates Surveyor
We’re looking for an experienced Portfolio Estates Surveyor to join our Property team, with the overall aim of enhancing the value and growing the profitability of our portfolio.
Our property portfolio is a significant part of our business, made up of over 120 trading food stores and more than 60 funeral branches, as well as our travel and stonemasonry premises. We have just under 500 investment properties – residential and commercial – generating £8 million in income for the Society each year.
Because of COVID-19, we’re working from home at the moment and so the successful candidate will need to be able to effectively manage remote-working. Although the role will normally be based out of our Head Office at Wherstead Park on the outskirts of Ipswich, Suffolk, we’re happy to consider ongoing flexible working arrangements.
As Portfolio Estates Surveyor, you’ll:
- Create, implement and maintain initiatives which ensure the investment property portfolio maximises income and capital growth
- Ensure the property portfolio is ‘fit for purpose’ through achieving statutory compliance and best practice in all areas
- Manage valuations process (including year-end)
- Carry out day to day property management, alongside rent reviews, lease renewals and all general estate management tasks
- Manage and maintain benchmarking tools to analyse and review the Society’s property holding
- Ensure any dilapidations claims are negotiated robustly and cost-effectively, in accordance with lease terms
- Effectively manage external consultations and services provided by internal colleagues
- In conjunction with the Head of Estates, support the Development Team with the implementation of the investment property redevelopment strategy, as required
The Ideal Candidate
- Post-qualification experience in a Commercial Property / Estates Management role as a member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- Experience of dealing with local authorities, agents, developers and other key stakeholders involved in property management, acquisitions and disposals
- Entrepreneurial approach, able to spot opportunities and make a convincing business case for investment
- Line management experience
- Financially astute
- Experience of producing and presenting reports in a clear, concise and accessible way
- Enthusiastic and committed team-player
- Effective communicator (written and verbal), confident to engage with stakeholders at all levels
- Excellent organisation skills; able to efficiently manage a multi-priority workload whilst under pressure
- IT literate, with a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel and Outlook
- Current valid driving licence
Whilst the following isn’t essential (we’re more than happy to offer the right candidate the training and support they’ll need to be successful), we’d welcome applications from candidates with the following:
- Knowledge / experience of computerised property management systems (e.g. Propman)
- Knowledge / experience of a co-operative business (or similar)
Alongside a competitive salary, we also offer enhanced employer pension contribution and holiday entitlement, as well as our colleague discount scheme. Further details can be viewed on our Careers website and would be discussed in detail during the recruitment process.
We understand the importance of balancing work commitments with other activities and responsibilities, which is why we are happy to offer flexible working. We are always looking to find the right solutions to suit our colleagues and the business.
About the Company
As a co-op we’re a different type of business. We’re owned by our members and we work for the benefit of people and our communities, not just for profit. We’re driven by our democratic values which are based around being fair, doing the right thing and caring for all those we deal with. This includes our customers, our suppliers, our environment and each other.
We expect colleagues who work with us to share these values. We’re still a business and we work in a very competitive area so it’s still important that we’re efficient and work to the highest professional standards.
We’ve been able to achieve success for over 150 years because of our people and we encourage applications from individuals from all backgrounds; you reflect the communities we serve. If you would like to join us on the next part of our journey, please follow the instructions on how to apply.
East of England Co-op