We are introducing the position of Payroll Specialist to our Payroll Team. Our Payroll Team is part of the wider People Team function and is key to our colleague experience and engagement across the business.
This is an exciting time for Our Co-op. The Society has recently undertaken a strategic review and as a result refreshed its branding and values, implemented a new leadership team and is in the process of sourcing to invest into its future growth.
The Payroll Specialist will be an SME on all things Payroll and Pensions working under the Payroll Manager to deliver payroll services to Our Co-op. Keeping up to date with regular legislative changes and periodic payments, the role will also consist of elements such as, benefits including P11d reporting, third-party payments, pension payroll, reporting, checking and much more.
If you want to find out more about this role, please find the Payroll Specialist job description available to download at the bottom of this page.
The Ideal Candidate
- A clear understanding of payroll legislation, taxes and PAYE procedures
- Strong verbal communication, including active listening, for accurately answering employee questions
- A keen eye for monitoring and checking
- Mathematical skills for calculating pay differentials
- Computer literacy, especially confident using MS office and payroll software such as Excel with VLOOKUP and HR Systems.
- Self-motivation and organisational skills to meet deadlines
- Initiative and ambition to develop professionally
- Previous HR experience in Payroll and Benefits
- The ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive matters and respond effectively to such situations
- The ability to learn and understand new software and applications quickly
- The ability to execute processes and scheduled tasks with little supervision
Experience within a payroll environment is desired but not essential in application for this role.
What’s in it for you
At the East of England Co-op, we strive to be the best place to work. We invest in our colleagues to help them to progress in their careers and achieve their full potential. How do we do this?
- Competitive rates of pay
- 20% discount in our food stores, along with other discounts across our family of businesses
- 22 days holiday (plus bank holiday entitlement) which increases with service
- 5% employer pension contribution
- Death in service benefit
- Access to our colleague communications app, The Loop
- Enhanced* family leave and pay arrangements
- Opportunities to grow, with award-winning training and apprenticeship programmes
- Great deals and discounts across 100’s of high street and online retailers
- Financial wellbeing support, including Wagestream®
Check out the detail of all our colleague benefits here.
* Enhanced on statutory terms, subject to service criteria.
We recognise the challenges people face trying to balance commitments both in and out of the workplace - perhaps studying, caring commitments, or other employment. We therefore aim to be as flexible as possible, to create shift patterns that work for both our co-op and our colleagues.
About the Company
The East of England Co-op is the largest independent retailer in East Anglia, with over 230 stores and branches across Norfolk, Suffolk, and Essex.
Owned by over 260,000 members – including our colleagues – our vision is to be the most valued organisation in our region, by being a better kind of business and using our profit to make a positive impact on our communities.
Our Community Cares Fund provides hundreds of thousands of pounds to support groups and good causes, with a focus on mental health and wellbeing, food justice for all and creating community spaces.
With a focus on environmental sustainability, we’re proud to have led the way on reducing food waste, being the first major retailer to sell food past its Best Before date for just 10p.
At the East of England Co-op, we strive to be the best place to work. We invest in our colleagues to help them to progress in their careers and achieve their full potential, whether in food retail, funeral services, property investment, travel, security, stonemasonry, events, or our support functions.
Find out more at www.eastofengland.coop
Our Recruitment Process
If this is the job for you, simply click ‘apply’. You will be required to register a profile on our careers page. To do this simply click apply. The good news is you’ll only have to register once – after this, it’ll be easier and quicker to apply for any roles in the future too.
Please note that our working patterns are non-contractual. The advertised working pattern represents the normal working pattern for the role at time of advertisement and is subject to change.
East of England Co-op