FIND OUT WHAT ITS LIKE TO BE PART OF OUR FUNERAL TEAM
Hear about our roles from our team, they will talk you through what its like to work for the East of England Co-op Funeral Services.
We have provided Funeral Services to clients and families across the East of England for over 90 years. Our Funeral Operatives are fundamental to the service we provide, given the important role they play throughout the deceased’s time in our care.
You recognise that our clients and families place their complete trust and confidence in us to deliver a faultless final tribute. You’ll take instructions from the Funeral Director, understanding the importance of your individual role as part of the wider ceremonial team on the day of the service.
You will demonstrate the same professional approach at other times too, including when you bring the deceased into our care, whilst supporting chapel viewings and during your liaison with our clients and families.
Whilst previous experience of Funerals would be desirable, this isn’t essential; we’re more interested in hearing from individuals who can demonstrate that they have the professionalism, empathy and people skills suited to this environment. We are truly local, so whatever experience you bring to this role, you can be reassured that you will be fully supported by nearby branches and Head Office colleagues, as well as your line manager.
- Drive and/or bear on funeral services, supporting our client’s and family’s needs throughout
- To bring the deceased into our care from different locations / in varying circumstances
- Prepare the deceased for viewings and the funeral service
- Oversee chapel visits
- Maintain the cleanliness and high standard of our facilities and ceremonial vehicles
- Other support tasks, including preparing coffins, checking floral tributes and order of service, etc.
You may also be required to participate in an ‘out-of-hours’ on-call rota. The hiring manager will discuss this further should you be invited to attend an interview.
The Ideal Candidate
- Great communication and interpersonal skills
- Professional and empathetic approach
- A ‘team player’
- Attention to detail
- Professional standard of conduct and appearance
- Good knowledge of the local area
- A full UK manual driving licence
What’s in it for you
At the East of England Co-op, we strive to be the best place to work. We invest in our colleagues to help them to progress in their careers and achieve their full potential. How do we do this?
- Competitive rates of pay
- 20% discount in our food stores, along with other discounts across our family of businesses
- 22 days holiday (plus bank holiday entitlement) which increases with service
- 5% employer pension contribution
- Death in service benefit
- Access to our colleague communications app, The Loop
- Enhanced* family leave and pay arrangements
- Opportunities to grow, with award-winning training and apprenticeship programmes
- Great deals and discounts across 100’s of high street and online retailers
- Financial wellbeing support, including Wagestream®
Check out the detail of all our colleague benefits here.
* Enhanced on statutory terms, subject to service criteria.
We recognise the challenges people face trying to balance commitments both in and out of the workplace - perhaps studying, caring commitments, or other employment. We therefore aim to be as flexible as possible, to create shift patterns that work for both our co-op and our colleagues.
About the Company
The East of England Co-op is the largest independent retailer in East Anglia, with over 230 stores and branches across Norfolk, Suffolk, and Essex.
Owned by over 260,000 members – including our colleagues – our vision is to be the most valued organisation in our region, by being a better kind of business and using our profit to make a positive impact on our communities.
Our Community Cares Fund provides hundreds of thousands of pounds to support groups and good causes, with a focus on mental health and wellbeing, food justice for all and creating community spaces.
With a focus on environmental sustainability, we’re proud to have led the way on reducing food waste, being the first major retailer to sell food past its Best Before date for just 10p.
At the East of England Co-op, we strive to be the best place to work. We invest in our colleagues to help them to progress in their careers and achieve their full potential, whether in food retail, funeral services, property investment, travel, security, stonemasonry, events, or our support functions.
Find out more at www.eastofengland.coop
Our Recruitment Process
If this is the job for you, simply click ‘apply’. You will be required to register a profile on our careers page. To do this simply click apply. The good news is you’ll only have to register once – after this, it’ll be easier and quicker to apply for any roles in the future too.
Please note that our working patterns are non-contractual. The advertised working pattern represents the normal working pattern for the role at time of advertisement and is subject to change.
East of England Co-op