Customer Service Assistant (Food)
Our Customer Service Assistants are integral to the success of our business. You will likely be the first person that our customers meet and the service you provide is key in ensuring that they return to shop with us time and time again.
This doesn’t just mean being friendly and helpful during your conversations with customers on the shopfloor or during home deliveries. It also means serving on the tills, following procedures and undertaking checks so that our stores trade safely and legally. Alongside picking and delivering customers’ shopping in a company vehicle, you’ll also support other tasks such as filling shelves and helping customers on the shop floor.
As a Customer Service Assistant, you’ll be part of a skilled, engaged, and diverse team. We’re proud of our colleagues who work hard to support each other, their branch’s success, and the local communities they serve.
Food retail is fast-paced and constantly evolving; you are unlikely to have two days the same and this is what makes working in our stores exciting! Whilst you don’t need to have worked in this environment before, you’ll need to show a flexible approach and a commitment to providing great customer service. We are truly local, so you can work safe in the knowledge that you will be fully supported by nearby stores and Head Office colleagues, as well as your in-store team.
Due to having responsibility for age-restricted products/sales during home deliveries, the successful candidate will need to be aged 18 years or over. The successful candidate will have a DBS check conducted.
- Picking and delivering shopping to our customers’ required locations for our “Snappy Shopper “service
- Driving and undertaking deliveries for our home delivery service
- Offering a friendly and helpful service to our members and customers
- Making sure the store is well-stocked with products available for customers
- Build relationships with other stores and colleagues and the local community
- Working safely and legally, including processing age-related sales
- Promoting membership
The Ideal Candidate
- Friendly and helpful attitude
- Genuine commitment to delivering excellent customer service
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexible, hard-working and confident
- Basic level of numeracy and literacy
- Basic IT literacy
- A full clean driving licence (held for at least 6 months)
Your local Coop needs you!
So why come and work for us?
- We pay above the full adult rate of pay for all colleagues irrespective of age and we offer our colleagues holiday, pension and family leave benefits over and above statutory requirements. Oh, and we offer great colleague discount too! (including 20% off in our food stores).
- Our vans are small in size and straight forward to drive making them perfect for delivering convenience foods across our local communities.
- We are committed to investing in the development of our colleagues so should you have your sights on career progression we have a number of apprenticeship opportunities for you to explore.
- We recognise the challenges people face trying to balance commitments both in and out of the workplace - perhaps college, caring commitments or other employment. Yes we operate 7 days a week from early morning well into the evening but we aim to create shift patterns that work for both our Coop and our colleagues.
- Our key purpose is to make profit so that we are able to invest in our local communities rather than provide rich returns to institutional investors.
- We pride ourselves on the level of customer service our colleagues provide to our customers. Taking time to chat to a customer who may live alone holds greater value than how many items in a minute you can scan at the checkout.
If these points resonate with you and you would like to work for a business that strives to be the most valued in the East of England then please read on…..
About the Company
As a co-op we’re a different type of business. We’re owned by our members and we work for the benefit of people and our communities, not just for profit. We’re driven by our democratic values which are based around being fair, doing the right thing and caring for all those we deal with. This includes our customers, our suppliers, our environment and each other.
We expect colleagues who work with us to share these values. We’re still a business and we work in a very competitive area so it’s still important that we’re efficient and work to the highest professional standards.
We’ve been able to achieve success for over 150 years because of our people and we encourage applications from individuals from all backgrounds; you reflect the communities we serve! If you would like to join us on the next part of our journey, please follow the instructions on how to apply.
COVID-19 Recruitment Statement
Our colleague’s health and wellbeing is our priority and we have taken all reasonable steps to protect our teams in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Whilst we have a number of measures in place to make our workplaces COVID-secure, applicants should be aware that the vast majority of our vacancies are for customer-facing roles. Whilst you are not obliged to share the details of any health conditions as part of your application, we would encourage you to consider any Government guidance which might apply to you. The latest advice for clinically vulnerable and clinically extremely vulnerable people can be found here (https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus).
If you would like to discuss a vacancy prior to making an application, please contact email@example.com.
East of England Co-op