Chapel & Services Manager
We have provided Funeral Services to clients and families across Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire for over 90 years. We’ve invested £10million in the last 4 years, representing our ongoing commitment to our valued colleagues and the communities they serve.
As Chapel and Services Manager, you’ll lead and develop a team of high-performing Funeral Co-ordinators, Funeral Directors and Funeral Operatives to deliver an exemplary client service; with overall responsibility for all colleagues, facilities and vehicles.
This is a key role within our Funeral Services’ operational management team, reporting into the Area Manager and working closely with other colleagues.
You’ll create an open and supportive working environment where your team feel valued and understand their contribution to our performance. Through effective leadership, recruitment, performance management and colleague development, you’ll be responsible for ensuring your teams:
- Deliver exceptional standards of client care and branch standards.
- Achieve KPIs (service, financial, etc.), identifying and responding to performance issues.
- Work smartly, communicating effectively and maximising the resources available to them.
- Innovate, taking their feedback on how we can do better and turn this into reality, driving future change.
- Effectively support new colleagues and their development.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders (e.g. local crematorium, cemetery, etc.) to understand opportunities and challenges.
- Engage with their local communities, positively representing the East of England Co-op as brand ambassadors.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of managing large and diverse operational teams, setting individual and team targets
- Customer / client service background
- Commercially astute
- Experience of implementing change, ensuring the team and business are aligned
- Experience of ensuring compliance in team members and service (ideally within a regulated area)
- Great communication skills, with the ability to compile accurate, concise records / reports
- Effective interpersonal skills, effective with all stakeholders
- Ability to work with challenging deadlines and independently prioritise workload
- Good standard of Maths and English and IT competence (Microsoft and bespoke systems)
Whilst experience of the Funeral Service sector would be advantageous, this is not essential. We’re more than happy to offer the right person the guidance and support they’ll need to adapt, in return for their relevant skills and experience.
You’ll primarily be based at your Chapel / ‘Hub’. However, there will be a requirement to travel on occasions and so the successful candidate must have a full UK driving license.
Alongside a competitive salary, we also offer enhanced employer pension contribution and holiday entitlement, as well as our colleague discount scheme. Further details can be viewed on the ‘Colleague Benefits’ section of our website.
You will also benefit from our award-winning training, helping you to achieve your true potential. Should you have your sights on career progression in the future, we’ve supported lots of our colleagues with their personal and professional development.
We understand the importance of balancing work commitments with other activities and responsibilities. We promote flexible working arrangements and are happy to discuss different ways of working (please indicate your availability within your application).
About the Company
About the Company
As a co-op we’re a different type of business. We’re owned by our members and we work for the benefit of people and our communities, not just for profit. We’re driven by our democratic values which are based around being fair, doing the right thing and caring for all those we deal with. This includes our customers, our suppliers, our environment and each other.
We expect colleagues who work with us to share these values. We’re still a business and we work in a very competitive area so it’s still important that we’re efficient and work to the highest professional standards.
We’ve been able to achieve success for over 150 years because of our people and we encourage applications from individuals from all backgrounds; you reflect the communities we serve. If you would like to join us on the next part of our journey, please follow the instructions on how to apply.
COVID-19 Recruitment Statement
Our colleague’s health and wellbeing is our priority and we have taken all reasonable steps to protect our teams in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Whilst we have a number of measures in place to make our workplaces COVID-secure, applicants should be aware that the vast majority of our vacancies are for customer-facing roles. Whilst you are not obliged to share the details of any health conditions as part of your application, we would encourage you to consider any Government guidance which might apply to you. The latest advice for clinically vulnerable and clinically extremely vulnerable people can be found here (https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus).
If you would like to discuss a vacancy prior to making an application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
East of England Co-op