Branch Manager (Food Retail)
Retail is fast-paced and constantly evolving; but you already understand this. You know that quick-thinking, a positive outlook and embracing change are all key to thriving in this dynamic environment and our Burnham on Crouch Supermarket is no exception to this with approximately 11,000 transactions taking place in store every week during peak trading activity.
Alongside our busy instore bakery and Snappy Shopper home delivery service you will manage the day to day relationship with two key concession partners operating within our store.
As a true operator you will strive to ensure that our Burnham on Crouch Supermarket is at its 'A game' at all times. You'll be committed to driving consistent high standards and promoting legal compliance, as well as making sure that the service your store provides exceeds our members' and customers' expectations at every opportunity.
You won't do this alone; key to our success is our skilled, engaged, and diverse team of 70 colleagues. You'll take the same pride in seeing your colleagues achieve their full potential, as you do in realising your own. This role is as much about coaching and supporting your team members, as it is trading the shopfloor.
- Manage, coach, and support a team of 70 colleagues
- Manage the stores resources in line with the seasonal fluctuations in trade
- Ensure that the branch delivers exceptional standards and customer service
- Growing the branch's turnover and profitability (e.g. managing costs, including personnel)
- Make sure that the branch is operating safe and legally (including acting as the DPS)
- Establish the branch as the convenience retailer trusted most by its local community
- Build relationships with other stores, customers, and Head Office/support colleagues
- Promoting membership
We’re pleased to offer a home delivery and Snappy shopper service in a number of our stores which is operated by our in-house teams. If there is any requirement to drive in support of this service, this will be discussed with you as part of the recruitment process
The Ideal Candidate
- Previous experience managing a food retail store is essential as is the ability to demonstrate first-class team leadership in previous role(s).
- Great interpersonal skills, able to effectively communicate with stakeholders at all levels
- Commercially astute
- A confident decision-maker
- Driven, determined and resilient
- Good level of literacy, numeracy and IT literacy
- Self-aware, with commitment to continued professional and personal development
- Full UK driving licence
Your local Coop needs you!
So why come and work for us?
- You will be placed at the heart of a local community while working for the East of England’s largest independent retailer.
· Alongside a competitive salary we offer our colleagues holiday, pension, and family leave benefits over and above statutory requirements. Oh, and we offer great colleague discount too! (including 20% off in our food stores).
- You will benefit from our award-winning ‘Know-How’ training programme, helping you to achieve your true potential as a Branch Manager. Should you have your sights on career progression in the future, we advocate 'growing' our own talent. We’ve supported lots of our colleagues to go on to manage our bigger stores and even on to area management and specialist roles.
- We operate 7 days a week to serve our communities when they need us so, as Branch Manager, you will be required to work a number of different shifts across our trading hours, which include early mornings, evenings, and weekends. However, we promote flexible working arrangements and are happy to discuss different ways of working (please indicate your availability within your application).
- Our key purpose is to make profit so that we are able to invest in our local communities rather than provide rich returns to institutional investors.
If these points resonate with you and you would like to work for a business that strives to be the most valued in the East of England then please read on…..
About the Company
As a co-op we’re a different type of business. We’re owned by our members and we work for the benefit of people and our communities, not just for profit. We’re driven by our democratic values which are based around being fair, doing the right thing and caring for all those we deal with. This includes our customers, our suppliers, our environment and each other. We expect colleagues who work with us to share these values. We’re still a business and we work in a very competitive area so it’s still important that we’re efficient and work to the highest professional standards.
Click here to find out more https://www.eastofengland.coop/.
COVID-19 Recruitment Statement
Our colleague’s health and wellbeing is our priority and we have taken all reasonable steps to protect our teams in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Whilst we have a number of measures in place to make our workplaces COVID-secure, applicants should be aware that the vast majority of our vacancies are for customer-facing roles. Whilst you are not obliged to share the details of any health conditions as part of your application, we would encourage you to consider any Government guidance which might apply to you. The latest advice for clinically vulnerable and clinically extremely vulnerable people can be found here (https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus).
If you would like to discuss a vacancy prior to making an application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
East of England Co-op